The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides weekly updates on road construction projects in the following counties in northwest Wisconsin: Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, St. Croix, Sawyer, Taylor, Trempealeau and Washburn counties.
Highway: WIS 72
Location: Eau Galle River Bridge, about two miles east of Elmwood
Schedule: April 6 to August
Cost: $1.94 million
Description: Removing and replacing the bridge, grading, signing and pavement marking. Traffic impacts:
• WIS 72 is closed at the structure.
• Detour route: WIS 128, WIS 29 and WIS 25.
Dunn and St. Croix counties
Location: Between Hudson and Menomonie near Knapp
Schedule: March 25, 2019 to November 2020
Cost: $57.5 million
Description: Removing and replacing concrete pavement and six structures, grading, marking pavement and installing beam guard, cable barrier, right-of-way fencing and signing.
Traffic impacts: There will be lane closures on east- and westbound I-94 from WIS 128 to 250th Street.
Eau Claire and St. Croix counties
Highway: US 12, WIS 64, WIS 65 and WIS 312
Location: Various locations
Schedule: April 13 to June
Description: Replacing signals, poles and bases and completing beam guard, electrical and signing work. Traffic impacts:
• In Eau Claire:
• The contractor is anticipated to be installing signal poles on WIS 312 at the intersections of Truax Lane, Mill Run Road and County TT. All work will be completed with a single-lane closure on the outside lanes.
St. Croix County
Location: Between Hudson and Baldwin
Schedule: April 1, 2019 to July 2020
Cost: $17 million
Description: Replacing four bridge structures – two over 130th Street and two over the Kinnickinnic River – and completing roughly two miles of approach work. Traffic impacts:
• Westbound I-94:
• Traffic is using temporary lanes, which are posted at 60 mph. This configuration will remain like this until late June.
• There will be intermittent right-lane closures from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday, May 18 to May 22.
• Eastbound I-94:
• The inside shoulder is closed.
• The speed limit will be reduced from 70 mph to 60 mph when a lane is closed.
• There will be intermittent single-lane closures from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday, May 18 to May 22.
• 130th Avenue:
• The road will be fully closed during business hours on Monday and Tuesday, May 18 and 19, for bridge demolition.
Highway: US 12
Location: Between US 63 and WIS 128, east of Baldwin
Schedule: April 27 to October 2020 and June 2021
Cost: $6.2 million
Description: Resurfacing US 12, making repairs to the bridge over the Union Pacific railroad tracks and safety improvements to shoulders, improving curb, gutter, culvert pipes and beam guard, signing and marking.
• Motorists should expect single-lane closures with flagging operations in areas where work is happening.
• Intersection closures at 220th Street and Bridge Road are anticipated on Wednesday or Thursday.
• In addition, 220th Street north of US 12 will be closed to 80th Avenue.
• In addition, Bridge Road south of US 12 will be closed to 70th Avenue.
Highway: County E
Location: Between County I and County A, northeast of Hudson
Schedule: April 30 to July
Cost: $1.94 million
Description: Reconditioning project, including grading, paving, signing and marking.
Traffic impacts: The road will remain open during construction, with flagging operations used to control traffic.
Construction-related traffic impacts are dependent on weather and subject to change.